During World War II, the majority of the trucks and buses in Romania were requisitioned by the Army. Having hardly any public transportation left, in 1942 the city of Craiova received eight trolleybuses and twelve tramway cars “captured” from Odessa, together with some of the necessary wires, rails, poles and a rectifier. Later that year, Craiova established its own public transportation service, operated by the city, and started building garages and workshops for running it. The first trolleybus line was inaugurated on May 9th 1943, between the Railway Station and the center of the city. It was followed by another two branches, one between the center and Bibescu (today Romanescu) Park and the other between the center and the Military Hospital. The planned route for a tramway line was abandoned in late 1943, in favor of a unified trolleybus network. Nothing came to it, despite Craiova receiving another three trolleybuses evacuated from Cernăuţi in March 1944. After King Michael’s coup on August 23rd 1944, Romania joined the Allies. The Soviets requested their property back, “as new”. Thus, the trolleybus network was dismantled, and all materiel, along with a hefty compensation, was sent back to Odessa through the Port of Constanţa, leaving Craiova without public transportation for two years.
Craiova, Odessa, trolleybus, tramway, Second World War